Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Winter storm

 It was deceptively mild this morning, but a step outside of the protection of the grove was a step into an increasing northwest wind carrying a real bite.  I had gotten both cattle groups fed yesterday with enough hay to carry them at least through today, so I worked at picking up stray bits of twine, bale net and so forth knowing that otherwise we would encounter them with the skid and loader pushing snow tomorrow.  Then I helped Andy with a last minute clean and rebed on two of the sow groups.  By the time we headed in for the noon meal it became evident we probably would need to stay there for awhile.  When I finished eating I could only just make out the solar panels across the driveway in the blowing snow.  

After a lifetime on this farm and the last four plus decades operating it, it still amazes me how much I discover needing to be done just ahead of a major snow storm.

We will have a white Christmas, I guess, after all.  The white will be tinged with brown and black edges from too much exposed soil blown loose. Will we have eyes to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment